Product Planning Chief O’Brien Tells SAE World Congress Assurance Connected Care Shows Company Responding To Consumer Preference Changes
Hyundai’s Blue Link Telematics Driven By Consumer Insights
DETROIT, April 17, 2013 – U.S. consumers are increasingly looking for cars designed and packaged to meet their overall lifestyle needs, Mike O’Brien, vice president of corporate and product planning for Hyundai Motor America, told attendees at the SAE 2013 World Congress in Detroit. His remarks highlighted consumer insights driving the integration of new technology into modern car design. O’Brien pointed to Hyundai Assurance Connected Care – the new safety and security suite powered by Hyundai’s Blue Link telematics platform—as a proof point to illustrate the automaker’s response to changing customer preferences.
Hyundai Assurance Connected Care is an example of an automotive innovation developed with the broader consumer lifestyle needs in mind, O’Brien said. The new program will provide free proactive safety and car care telematics services for three years to every buyer of a new Hyundai vehicle equipped with Blue Link. The technology and service includes automatic collision notification, SOS emergency assistance, enhanced roadside assistance, monthly vehicle diagnostics reports and maintenance alerts.
“Technology is important, but consumers aren’t all that interested in the specific telematics hardware or diagnostic software that make it work,” O’Brien said. “They just want to know that their vehicle can help speed assistance to them in the case of an emergency or alert them of maintenance issues before they become major problems.”
To meet this shifting consumer mentality, Hyundai already has changed its product development process, O’Brien said. Instead of just asking car shoppers what features they want, Hyundai is focused on understanding what inspires, motivates and shapes the lives of consumers. It’s looking for broader cultural trends that affect people’s lives and then determines how mobility fits into their evolving world.
“With longer product development cycles in the automobile industry than most other businesses, we have to anticipate what consumers will want years from now,” O’Brien said. “It’s not just about doing more research; it’s about doing smarter research that listens to the consumer and delivers an automobile with an overall package and design that meets their needs before they’re even able to precisely articulate what they want.”
Connected Care is an extension the Hyundai Assurance program started in 2009 that’s designed to meet consumer needs through an umbrella of services that pledge exceptional customer service and owner satisfaction.
Since its launch in 2009, Hyundai Assurance has represented Hyundai’s longtime commitment to its customers. The current pillars of Assurance include America’s Best Warranty and 5 years/unlimited mileage of 24/7 Roadside Assistance. Now with Assurance Connected Care, Assurance is made even stronger, able to deliver additional confidence and peace of mind through a suite of proactive, cloud-enabled safety and car care features powered by Blue Link. For more details on Blue Link pricing and packaging, visit http://www.hyundaibluelink.com/. Hyundai Assurance Connected Care will provide the following features on Blue Link-equipped vehicles for the first three years for the original owner.
ASSURANCE CONNECTED CARE FEATURES EXPLAINED
- Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Assistance: Provides immediate assistance when an accident occurs and an airbag is deployed. In this event, an ACN signal, containing customer and location information, will automatically be transmitted to the Blue Link response center. Upon receipt of the signal, a Blue Link response specialist will attempt to establish voice communications with the vehicle occupants while also connecting to emergency/9-1-1 services. The Blue Link response specialist will remain on the line with the customer until advised assistance has arrived.
- SOS Emergency Assistance: Customers request emergency 9-1-1 assistance by pressing the dedicated SOS button in the vehicle. This action transmits vehicle information and location to specially-trained Blue Link response specialists, who will assist in coordinating the dispatch of appropriate emergency assistance to the customer. The Blue Link response specialist will remain on the line with the customer until advised assistance has arrived.
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance: Enables customers to contact Roadside Assistance via a single in-vehicle button press. Vehicle information (including location) is automatically transmitted to a response center, enabling the specialist to dispatch assistance more quickly and efficiently for vehicle assistance.
- Vehicle Diagnostics with Monthly Vehicle Health Report: Provides a report of vehicle diagnostics and other important vehicle information in a monthly email report and web page update, starting 30 days after registering with the Blue Link service.
- Maintenance Alert: Notifies customers in the vehicle as well as via website, email or SMS message that an upcoming service is due at various thresholds leading up to the service date. The service interval can be configured online through www.myhyundai.com
- Automated Diagnostic Trouble Code Notification: Provides explanation and repair assistance using vehicle data and off-board diagnosis capabilities to better inform the customer of vehicle trouble alerts. A combination of in-vehicle display alerts and guided voice messages provides customers with additional instructions. Customers can connect to a live operator for further assistance including scheduling service or dispatching roadside assistance. The diagnostic data is also sent to the customer’s preferred Hyundai dealer to assist with the repair process.
- Recall Advisor: Provides pertinent recall information should a recall be initiated.
- Service Scheduling (Service Link): Allows the customer to conveniently schedule a service appointment with a dealer from in the vehicle using Blue Link or the Blue Link iOS or Android smart phone apps.
HYUNDAI MOTOR AMERICA
Hyundai Motor America, headquartered in Costa Mesa, Calif., is a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Co. of Korea. Hyundai vehicles are distributed throughout the United States by Hyundai Motor America and are sold and serviced through more than 820 dealerships nationwide. All Hyundai vehicles sold in the U.S. are covered by the Hyundai Assurance program, which includes the 5-year/60,000-mile fully transferable new vehicle limited warranty, Hyundai’s 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty, and five years of complimentary Roadside Assistance. On May 16, 2013, Hyundai Assurance will be expanded to include Assurance Connected Care for all Blue Link equipped vehicles. Assurance Connected Care provides Hyundai owners with proactive safety and car care services made possible by the Hyundai Blue Link telematics platform standard for three years. These services include Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostic Alert, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and in-vehicle service scheduling.
For more details on Hyundai Assurance, please visit www.HyundaiAssurance.com.